Office relocation is a humongous task for every business owner, which they want to get over with minimal chaos and ordeals. The primary goal when planning an office move is not to disrupt the regular functioning of your office. To achieve that, you need to plan and figure out each step of your office relocation strategically. The key to successful office relocation is forming a fool-proof plan and following through with your employees’ help.
Here’s our guide to help you relocate your office smoothly.
Step 1: Planning stage
Once you have decided to relocate, you need to start planning at least 3 to 6 months prior to the move. Here are the things that you should do.
- Finalize the new office building.
- Put together a team and assign responsibilities to each member for the relocation.
- Find a moving company that can fulfill all your requirements within a stipulated budget.
- Check whether you would need to take additional insurance for heavy machinery or equipment.
Step 2: Communication stage
Once you have confirmed your moving date, the next step is to inform everyone about the relocation. You need to notify your landlord, employees, clients, shareholders, suppliers, partners, and any other stakeholders in your business. Send official communication informing everyone of the change in office address.
Step 3: Preparation stage
After informing everyone about the relocation, you need to prepare for the move.
- Start with getting a detailed layout for your new office space.
- Make an inventory list of everything you need to move to the new office space.
- Formulate a moving plan for the day of the move.
- Assign employees to pack their desk belongings and label each individual’s belongings to avoid confusion.
- Assign task managers for each department to oversee the packing and move.
- Make an emergency contact person for each department for the day of the move if something goes wrong.
- Ask your employees for any suggestions or requirements they have regarding the new office space.
- Ensure that everyone has access to security codes and ID tags before the move.
- Consult with the IT department regarding your IT setup and removal.
Step 4: Moving stage
On the day of the move, you need to be fully prepared for any contingencies. Make sure that everyone on your team is on the same page and the moving company has clear instructions. Make sure that your electronics and equipment are loaded and unloaded carefully and at the correct location.
Step 5: Settling-in stage
The final stage is settling into the new place. Ensure that all your electronics and equipment are set up again as early as possible, and you have lines of communication open. Help the employees get settled into the new place by throwing a welcome party.
About InterWest Moving & Storage
We offer complete moving and storage services for residential, corporate, government, and military relocation, along with logistics, storage, and warehousing options. An agent of Atlas Van Lines, we have offices in Idaho, Montana, and Utah.
Our comprehensive and robust network allows us to offer local and international moving services to any place in the world. No matter what it takes, we always ensure that every customer is satisfied. Call us at (800) 877-1091 for all your packing and moving requirements.