Self-storage is one the largest booming industry in the United States, with a market value of 48.02 billion in 2020. Nearly 60% of Americans use additional storage space in self-storage units to keep their belongings. However, a lot of people still don’t understand everything about storage units. Understanding how storage units work is crucial to get the most out of them.
Here’s our guide to self-storage units.
What is self-storage?
Self-storage is a service where you can rent a secure individual storage unit to keep your valuables. You can find these units in different sizes and with climate control depending upon your storage requirement. The self part in self-storage entails that you need to move the belongings in and out yourself. The facility isn’t responsible for that.
What should you look for in a storage facility?
You should check for the following things when looking for a storage facility:
- Security: Since you will be keeping valuable items at the facility, you must ensure that the facility has proper security measures against thieves and natural elements.
- Customer service: The level of customer service differs significantly in various facilities. Look for a professional facility where they are happy to assist you with every query or problem. They follow the safety protocols and are honest with their contracts.
- Price: Another crucial factor is the price. Look for a facility that offers reasonable prices. Going too low may compromise the quality of their services. Also, check whether they take online payments to facilitate your due payments.
- Location: Find a facility close to your home so that you can pick up your stuff quickly if you need it. The site should also be easily accessible through vehicles.
When should you hire a storage unit?
You can rent a storage unit for various reasons. Some of the common ones include:
- Moving: If you are moving to a new location and leaving behind your belongings, for the time being, you can store them in a storage unit.
- Down-sizing: You can rent a storage unit if you move to a new smaller space and keep some stuff you don’t want to sell or donate.
- Vehicle Storage: If you need a safe place to store your automobiles like cars, bikes, RVs, you can do it in a storage unit.
- Business use: If you are running a small business and need back-office space or storage space for your goods, you can use a storage unit.
How to find the right storage size?
Storage units are usually measured in square feet. Most facilities have storage units of multiple sizes. However, guessing how much space you need can be difficult to gauge from reading the numbers on paper. You can visualize it better by keeping your belongings in an open space like a garage or parking area of exact measurements of a storage unit.
About InterWest Moving & Storage
We offer complete moving and storage services for residential, corporate, government, and military relocation, along with logistics, storage, and warehousing options. An agent of Atlas Van Lines, we have offices in Idaho, Montana, and Utah.
Our comprehensive and robust network allows us to offer local and international moving services to any place in the world. No matter what it takes, we always ensure that every customer is satisfied. Call us at (800) 877-1091 for all your packing and moving requirements.