is open during this time as an essential service
Over the last few weeks, COVID-19, has become a global topic of concern. iWest Companies have been closely monitoring the events as they unfold. We continue to evaluate the information supplied by the CDC, WHO, and the public health officials in the communities in which we do business, and follow the recommendations provided by those organizations concerning public health and safety. There are new state/city/county lockdown orders being enacted daily/hourly. Throughout the chaos and changing guidelines of the COVID-19 crisis, life must still go on and some level of normality must be maintained. With these changes and determination to find a “new normal” for these times comes a lot of questions.
Are Moving companies considered essential services?
Yes! Movers are considered an “essential service” and allowed to continue to operate provided everyone follows social distancing guidelines. Moving companies fall under the “logistics” and transportation categories in almost every state. Even in New York and areas of California; there may be restrictions such as apartment buildings not allowing movers or being asked to self-quarantine after a move but moving is not banned.
Moving during COVID-19: Is it safe?
Yes! Moving during the COVID-19 epidemic is safe as long as you follow recommended guidelines on social distancing, hand washing, and other healthy practices. Keep in mind movers are considered low-risk for the transmission of coronavirus. Moving crews typically only help 1-2 customers per day and are able to maintain social distancing during the move.
Steps we’re taking during the COVID-19 epidemic
For the safety of you and our crew we have implemented some safety procedures:
- At this time we are discouraging the shaking of hands.
- We will be regularly wiping down and cleaning the tablet used for paperwork
- We will be practicing safe distancing whenever possible and assigning 1 point of contact to communicate with the shipper. This will be the move manager/driver.
- Cabs of the trucks are being wiped down and sanitized daily.
- We ask that you please have a sink available for our crew to use to regularly wash their hands; we will bring our own soap and paper towels.
- You may see crews/drivers in Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) i.e Masks, Gloves, etc.
How YOU can help prepare for your relocation:
- Use new cardboard boxes – avoid using recycled material because the coronavirus lives on cardboard for up to 24 hours
- Plan your travel – If you need a hotel or flight, book refundable reservations and make sure the cancellation policy will protect you if plans change.
- Practice safe hygiene measures – wash your hands frequently, avoid touching your mouth and face, you should also feel comfortable wearing PPE (personal protective equipment I.e: masks and gloves) while interacting with the moving crew should you choose too.
- Sanitize your belongings
- Practice social distancing
- Be prepared for the movers – it is helpful to leave doorways and windows in your home to improve indoor ventilation. Increasing ventilation is believed to reduce cross infection of airborne infections diseases by diluting or removing contaminated airborne droplets.
*** Disclosure of personal health information is voluntary. However, InterWest Moving and Storage would appreciate your assistance during the current COVID-19 outbreak. If you are experiencing symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath (not attributable to a chronic health condition), please notify us immediately to reschedule your relocation services. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We want to ensure the safety of our crew and customers.