Moving into your new home is an exciting endeavor. However, in your hurry to move to the new house, you must not forget to do a final walkthrough. You may feel that you have already inspected the house and everything is in order, so there is no need for it. However, a final walkthrough can ensure no changes or damages since the last time you saw it.
Here’s why you should do a walkthrough before moving into your new home.
Importance of final walkthrough
Although final walkthroughs are not necessary by law, they have certain benefits. It allows you to take a last look at the home and ensure everything is how you want it to be. It also helps identify any damages that need to be repaired before moving in. It is also when you will not be wowed by the glitz and glam of the house and can notice finder details.
Checklist for your final walkthrough
If you are unsure what to look for, we have got you covered. Here is a list of things that you should look for:
Inside the house
- Check whether all the doors and windows open and close properly and whether the locks work.
- If you are buying a furnished home, check all the appliances and fitting to ensure they are working correctly.
- Look for any signs of pests or rodents in the house. Look for droppings or cockroaches inside cupboards or under the sink.
- Check the bathroom and kitchen plumbing and fitting for any signs of damage or problems.
- Check whether there is any damp smell in the house, especially in the basement, as it can indicate mold.
Outside the house
- Check the backyard and the front landscape for any problems or issues.
- If the house has gates, check whether they work properly and latches work fine.
- Check the irrigation system to ensure that it works properly.
- Check the garage doors to ensure that they are working properly.
Communicate newfound issues
During your final walkthrough, you may find some issues that weren’t noticed earlier. It does not mean you shouldn’t buy a home. You can talk to the owners and ask them to get it fixed. You can negotiate the repair costs if they’re not willing to do so.
Move into your new home
Once the repairs are made, you can move into your new home. Don’t forget to get movers like Interwest Moving to help you with your move.
About Interest Moving & Storage
InterWest Moving and Storage in Idaho, Montana, Utah & Wyoming can assist you with relocation services — from packing to unloading. An agent of Atlas Van Lines, we have been delivering high-quality transportation services to our customers since 1956. Apart from residential packing and moving, we are corporate moving specialists and provide domestic and international corporate, art, and government relocation services. You can call our toll-free number (800) 877-1091 to book our assistance and get a free quote.